The objective of this project is to enroll and ensure childrens rights to education in West Singhbhum district in Jharkand.
- Implementing NGO: Life Education and Development Support (LEADS)
- Location: Bandgaon Block, West Singhbhum District, Jharkhand
- Target Area: 10 villages with 20 schools
- Target Area Population: 4,284
- # of Beneficiaries: 1,750
- Start Year//End Year: 2013/TBD
- Current Budget: $12,391 [2014/15]
- Past Funding: None
The target area is located at Bandgaon block of West Singhbhum district in Jharkhand. The project will cover 10 villages having 11 AWCs with 571 children in 0-6 years age group. 8 schools will have 860 children in 6-14 years age group.
Context of Jharkhand, West Singhbhum and Bandgaon block
Jharkhand state was created on 15th November 2000. The state comprises of 24 districts and 216 blocks. The total population of Jharkhand 32.97 millions (Ref 2011 Census), which is 2.62% of the total Indian population. There are 32 different tribal communities and 8 primitive tribes reside in the state and their total population is 28% of total population. More than 70% of them are living below the poverty line in rural tribal dominated area of Jharkhand.
The average literacy rate is 67.63% in Jharkhand, but among the tribal, particularly among the female, literacy rate is very low i.e. approx. 10% in most of the districts.
Bandgaon is the Munda tribes dominated Block of West Singhbhum district of Jharkhand. The project will be implemented in 10 villages of this district whose data is as shown below:
- Number of Household: 824
- Population : 4284 out of which total tribal population is 89%
- Literacy rate : 37%
- Female literacy rate: 12%
Problems Related to Anganwadi and Schools / Education
- Poor functionality of Anganwadi Centres, no activities for children.
- Workers are irregular to the centres.
- Poor quality supplementary nutrition is provided for children.
- Schools are marked by Irregular classes, non delivery of TLM, books, dresses on time.
- Poor drinking water and toilet facilities, no library, no sports materials etc in the schools. With no toilets in schools, girls discontinue school after 5-6 grade.
- Indifferent attitude of parents, ignorance on the need for education.
- Defunct School Monitoring Committee's in schools.
- Non availability of teachers as per provisions of RTE 2009 i.e. 30:1 in each school
- Poor learning levels.
- Retention of children is a big issue in Jharkhand, out of 66 lacs enrolled children 34 lacs are not regular to school.
a. Long term Goals
“Empowering communities for sustained education in Bandgaon block of West Singhbhum district in Jharkhand”
b. Short term Goals
- To ensure rights of the children by empowering 11 Anganwadi Centres, 8 School Monitoring Comittee's, 10 Bal Sansad, 8 PTA, 11MC, for 100% enrollment, regular attendance of students and teacher, 85% retention of children and timely functioning of Anganwadi centres and school with more focus on marginalized community.
- To ensure quality and relevant education by facilitating on timely delivery of School dresses, TLM, Books etc from concerned dept. and its proper utilization for regular quality classes for children from marginalized community.
- Promote participation of children through Bal Sansad (Child Rights Clubs) in villages.
|Data Collection/Baseline||Understand literacy statistics in detail||Conduct a baseline survey|
|Promote & capacitate mother’s committees and other community based organizations in all 10 AWC|
ILP is partnering with the NGO - LEADS to implement this project.
“Life Education and Development Support” (LEADS) is a trust established by a committed group of professionals on 14th Dec 2005 for development and empowerment of poor and unorganized people of rural area and urban slums. Under the leadership of A.K Singh a group of Rural Development professionals came together to form LEADS to raise the issues of tribal people at local, state and national level.
LEADS is presently engaged in development of more than 220 villages in three districts of West Singhbhum, Khunti and Ranchi and in whole district with 734 villages in Latehar district on Women Self Help Group saturation program.
|Block Level Activities||
Page will be updated shortly.
Page will be updated shortly.