Society for Integrated Community Development (acronym: SNEHA), a registered Society was initiated in the year 1994 4 by a group of friends who were interested in the development of the communities. From its inception, the group concentrated on creating educational opportunities, enrolling children to schools, conducting supplementary classes, supporting anganwadi and balawadi programmes, awareness on health and hygiene, rights of women, children and the down trodden. This was carried out by spreading awareness through cultural groups, street plays, street corner meetings, organising women and youth around issues related to education and health.
- In the last 18 years SNEHA h has taken up child, youth and women centered interventions in the taluks of Kudligi, Hagari ibommanahalli, Hospet and Bellary of Bellary district. SNEHA through its various project has attempted to address some of these problems and has recorded certain degrees of success in addressing them.
- The vision statement of SNEHA is (creating) ‘A society where everyone is enjoying human rights peacefully’. And the mission of SNEHA is ‘to work with the marginalised and vulnerable sections of the society through education, health and socio-economic development interventions’.
The long term objective of SNEHA is ‘Integrated and sustainable development in selected villages of Bellary district in North East Karnataka’. The short term objectives are:
- To Promote childhood for children in exploitation from Devadasi and Dalith families in mining
- To improve the health status of children, women and the community as a whole
- To improve the educational status of children through early childhood education, primary & secondary eeducation
Socio-economic empowwerment of women
From villages around Banavikkal, Kudligi taluk where SNEHA initiated its work in 1994, the organisation has expanded its s work to reach every village in Kudligi taluk by 2008. To carry out the planned works with the community, children, schools, anganawadis, women sanghas, Grama Panchayat and various Government departments, SNEHA has developed a team of volunteers and staff, who are largely from the local surroundings. The organisation has received financial assistance from various national and international support groups to carry out the programmes and projects.
SNEHA is led by Mr. Ramanjaneya, who won the Distinguished Social Worker with Children award in November 2007. This honor was awarded to him jointly by the Department of Women and Child Developemnt, Education, Karnataka Council for Child welafre, and Karnataka's State Society of Balbhavans. It is a testament to the kind of leadership that ILP seeks in our partner organizations.
SNEHA has been an ILP partner since 2002 working in the Kudligi area. SNEHA's excellent performance through 2007 and the needs of the area formed the basis for ILP to continue the parternship with SNEHA to scale up the project to a larger number of villages / schools.