There are two main goals of education for the children and their families: to provide the confidence to navigate the world knowing rights and responsibilities and more importantly, to provide a means to improve the economic level of the individual and the family.
According to 2011 Census, 78% of rural adults are educated only up to 5th grade ( i.e literate to 5th grade). The majority of children from rural areas ( who predominantly study in Govt schools) are first generation learners. There is a significant increase in number of students studying beyond 8th grade and it is imperative to provide them with career guidance and counselling to enable them to be contributing citizens in the country’s economy. Based on a recent national survey more than 60% of students in this age group are not aware of the career choices after their 1oth or 12th grade. Government schools do not have the career guidance programs and students do not understand the concept of careers and pathways that align with their skills and interests.
Our Career Guidance and Pathways program is driven by students’ interests, is adaptive to their abilities, is relevant to their lives beyond school, and enables them to create and own pathways to their desired careers.
Our Career Guidance and Pathways program, aims to equip children in Government schools to effectively compete for jobs in the industry. It centers around the students by equipping them with information about careers. It is driven by students’ interests, is adaptive to their abilities, is relevant to their lives beyond school, and enables them to create and own pathways to their desired careers. A key aspect of the program is to enlist and train all the stakeholders – school management, teachers, parents and community to support the students.
ILP works with students graduating 10th and 12th grades by exposing them to a variety of available options from which to choose courses that fit their intellectual interests, while also leading to good careers.
Key aspects of Career Guidance & Counselling
- Career Guidance sessions in schools and villages for students in Grade 9,10,11 and 12. Group sessions are also followed up with 1-1 sessions for students after their 10th and 12th exams.
- Career Guidance sessions for school teachers
- Skills and competencies testing based on industry standard psychometric tests
- Content Tools
- Career Chart – A visual representation of the possible pathways to a course and career of choice
- Career Planner – A booklet in multiple languages that describes over 100 careers, the educational qualifications needed and the prospects
- Website and Mobile App – A website and mobile app that allows students to learn about all the careers, courses and colleges in their local area as well as across India.
- Financial Support
- ILP guides students on financial support options provided by Government and other local organizations.
- ILP also provides select scholarships and mentoring to students in rural areas, making them role models for other students.
|State||# of Schools||# of Beneficiaries|